I love vegetarian food, especially when the recipe is not only delicious but easy to prepare. If your celeriac is well cooked and your ingredients all warm – you can brown the hot pot under a grill rather than use the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan) gas mark 6.
- Steam the celeriac for 5-6 minutes or until almost cooked then remove from the steam and allow to dry out a little while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and sweat the onion and garlic until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they start to release their juices.
- Combine the stock or milk with the flour and add to the pan along with the herbs. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for two minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and place the mixture in a heat-proof au gratin dish.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of oil in a pan with a little salt and pepper. Toss the celeriac and hazelnuts in the seasoned oil and then spread the mixture evenly on top of the mushrooms.
- Place the container at the top of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the celeriac and hazelnuts are starting to brown.
- Serve with a salad or green vegetables.