Banana and Cinnamon Blinis
- 90ml (3fl oz) soya or other milk
- approx 30g (1oz) butter or margarine
- 1 banana
- 1 medium egg
- 55g (2oz) buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
This is a variation on the Crêpe Bretonnes recipe but the egg white is whisked and the mixture made into little pancakes. Fresh banana is hidden in the blinis as they cook. Other fruit could be substituted for the banana – try blueberries or raspberries and use vanilla extract instead of the cinnamon.
- Warm the milk and 15g (½oz) of butter until the butter is just melted.
- Slice the banana.
- Separate the egg and whisk the egg white until stiff.
- Process or beat together the milk and butter, flour, egg yolk and cinnamon until well mixed. Fold into the egg white using a metal spoon.
- Melt a knob of the remaining butter in a 20cm (8in) frying pan and pour four separate tablespoons of the batter to form little pancakes. Immediately press three pieces of banana into the surface of each pancake.
- Cook the blinis until golden brown, then turn over and cook the second side. Keep warm while you repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Serve warm just as they are or with honey or maple syrup and yogurt.