Creamy Sweetcorn Pasta with Bacon and Peas
- 150g (5oz) sweetcorn, fresh, tinned or frozen
- 200ml (7fl oz) stock
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 portions of gluten-free pasta
- 1 leek, mainly white stem, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of frozen peas
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 large chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- pinch chilli powder (optional)
- little pasta cooking water
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley to garnish
It is lovely to have a creamy sauce with pasta but that isn’t always easy when you are dairy-free. In this recipe the sweetcorn and ground almonds form a rich creamy sauce which holds the pasta together.
- Process the sweetcorn, stock and ground almonds until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the pasta in lots of boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, adding the leek to cook in the same water for 5 minutes and the peas for the last 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a hot pan until it starts to brown, adding the mushrooms, garlic and chilli part way through cooking, along with a little oil if there is insufficient in the pan from the bacon. Cook until the mushrooms start to soften.
- Drain the pasta and vegetables and return to the pan along with the sweetcorn sauce. Heat through, add the bacon and mushrooms and a little pasta cooking water if needed to loosen the mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with parsley.