Mediterranean Chicken Casserole
- 4 chicken thigh pieces, skin removed if preferred
- 1 red pepper cut into chunks
- 1 red onion cut into eight wedges
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 large anchovies, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 10 black olives
- 2 tbsps gluten-free flour
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2fl oz water
- salt and pepper
Chicken Casserole is a useful standby, ideal to serve for everyday meals but also suitable for special occasions. Don’t worry about adding anchovies to chicken, they disappear as the casserole cooks but add an real depth of flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan) gas mark 6.
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish along with the vegetables, garlic, anchovies, herbs, olives and gluten-free flour. Toss the ingredients so that they are coated with the flour.
- Pour over the tinned tomatoes and water, using the water to wash out the tin.
- Cover the casserole and place in the centre of the oven for about 1½ hours or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Season if needed (remember anchovies are salty) and serve.