Warm Lentil, Crispy Bacon and Avocado Salad
- 2 substantial salad bases, made up of ingredients such as
- lettuce, rocket, celery, cucumber, tomato, radish, peppers and onions
- 4 slices, lean but streaky bacon, finely sliced
- 75g (3oz) cooked lentils, either freshly cooked, tinned or from a pouch
- 1 avocado, flesh diced
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp mild tasting runny honey
- salt and pepper
I love the contrast of hot and cold temperatures, crisp and soft textures and intense and subtle flavours which make this salad a delight to eat. Use whatever salad ingredients you have available for the base but make sure you fill the plate so that your salad is substantial
1 Make up two salad bases and spread out over two plates. Whisk together the salad dressing ingredients.
2 Fry the bacon in a pan (no need to add oil) over a high heat until crisp and golden. Add the lentils and heat through.
3 Toss the bacon and lentils over the salad bases, then sprinkle over the avocado and drizzle with the dressing. Serve and eat straight away.