Gluten-free Sandwich Rounds
Makes 6 rounds
- For the wet ingredients
- 170ml (6fl oz) natural live yogurt
- 140 - 200 ml (5 - 7fl oz) boiling water
- 1tsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- For the dry ingredients
- 225g (8oz) gluten-free plain flour
- 1 level tsp mustard powder
- 1 level tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 scant level tsp salt
- 50g (2oz) gluten-free oats or buckwheat flakes
- 2 tbsps chia seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 Large baking tray
These Sandwich rounds have become a favourite of mine. I like to keep some in the freezer and defrost them in the toaster if I want some bread. It is the acid in the yogurt that helps the mixture to rise so make sure you use a live yogurt (diary-free if necessary). If your yogurt isn’t very acidic just add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan), gas mark 6, then line the tray with baking parchment.
- Whisk all the wet ingredients together using 140ml (5fl oz) of the boiling water, and give an occasional whisk whilst you prepare the dry ingredients to prevent the chia seeds clumping together.
- Sift together the flour, mustard powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix in the salt, oats or buckwheat flakes and chia seeds.
- Combine the two sets of ingredients, adding a little more water if needed to make a very soft dropping consistency (almost like a thick batter). You will see bubbles of gas appear as soon as you start to mix, so work quickly before they dissipate, and spoon the mixture into six rounds on the baking sheet. Use the back of your spoon to flatten the rounds to about 1cm (1/2 in) thick.
- Sprinkle the rounds with chia seeds and bake for 10 – 14 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy around the edges. Place on a wire rack to cool.
YouTube video of how to make these sandwiches, click here