The flavours of the Mediterranean dominate this delicious dish. While it cooks in the oven, why not add some baking potatoes so that you can have an hour off as the meal cooks? This is another dish where the vegetables can be sweated first in olive oil for extra flavour, though it’s fine without this and certainly easier.
- Set the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F), gas mark 6.
- Dice the onion, press the garlic clove and slice the pepper and courgette. Place these in a casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes, stock or water, basil, oregano and the olives.
- Finely dice the sun-dried tomatoes and cut the unpeeled orange into wedges. Add these to the casserole dish, saving a few orange wedges as a garnish. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken joints on top of the casserole and, using your fingers, smear the olive oil over the chicken skin. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked. If the chicken is browning too quickly, cover the dish loosely with foil.
- Remove the chicken. To thicken the juices, mix the flour with a little water and add to the casserole. Bring to the boil on the hob and simmer for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish the chicken and vegetables with the parsley and the orange wedges and serve with rice, pasta or baked potatoes.