Other vegetables can be used in this recipe, for example celeriac instead of the parsnips or carrots, and broccoli or spinach instead of the leeks.
- Cut the vegetables into pieces and cook each vegetable separately by boiling or steaming until tender.
- Purée or process the vegetables separately in a food processor, adding the ginger to the parsnips, the orange rind to the carrots and the coriander to the leeks. Add 1 egg to each mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
- Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin (pan). Spread the carrot mixture evenly on the base of the tin (pan), then the leek mixture and finally the parsnip mixture on the top.
- Place the loaf pan in a baking tray of cold water (a bainmarie or water bath) and bake in a preheated 200°C (400°F), gas mark 6 oven for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To make the tomato sauce, place all the ingredients in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Stand the terrine for 10 minutes before turning out. Cut into slices to serve, accompanied by the tomato sauce.