Chilli Bean Pâté
- 1 shallot
- 1 cm (½in) piece fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ ?tsp chilli powder
- 225g (8oz) cooked red kidney beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For speed and convenience, I frequently use canned red kidney beans to make this pâté. I find pâtés useful for between-meal snacks and suppers, as well as first courses.
- Finely dice the shallot, grate the ginger and crush the garlic clove. Place in a saucepan with the olive and sesame oil and sweat them until soft.
- Add the cumin, ground coriander, paprika and chilli powder and sweat the ingredients for a few more minutes.
- Place the onions and spice mixture in a food processor along with the drained red kidney beans. Process until smooth, adding a few tablespoons of water if necessary. If you do not have a food processor, mash well to break up and blend the ingredients.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve as a pâté with a small salad, as a spread for crispbreads or rice cakes or as a filling for baked potatoes. This pâté can also be frozen.